Candied Maple Pecans with Ayurvedic Sweet Spices
Betty Brown, Ayurvedic Practitioner, CAS
pecans balance the energy of vata dosha (air + ether) with the gunas (qualities) of cold, dry, mobile, and light in our bodies and mind.
Ayurvedic Sweet Spice Blend makes this treat extra delicious with the added benefit of optimizing digestion.
- 2 cups raw pecan halves
- 1/2 cup real maple syrup
- 1/4 teaspoon ghee (use coconut oil for vegan version)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Ayurvedic Sweet Spice Blend*
- 1/4 teaspoon mineral salt
- Prepare a flat cooling surface such as a cookie sheet by lining it with parchment paper, set aside.
- Warm up a sauté medium size pan on low heat. Add ghee and let it melt, then add Ayurvedic Spice Blend, and sauté for a few seconds making sure spices do not burn.
- Add remaining ingredients to sauté pan. Mix with a wooden spoon or heat-safe spatula until the pecans are evenly coated and the spices have mostly dissolved into the maple syrup.
- Cook the mixture on medium heat until the maple syrup comes to a low simmer, stirring occasionally. The mixture should gently bubble. Prevent mixture from boiling vigorously.
- Reduce heat to medium-low or the temperature needed to maintain a low simmer.
- Continue simmering the mixture for about 20-25 minutes, stirring every 2-5 minutes until the liquid in the maple syrup has evaporated and its sugars have crystallized.
- When the maple syrup starts to crystalize, cook the pecans for 1 more minute. Stir often, every 10-20 seconds or so.
- Immediately pour the candied pecans onto the parchment lined cookie sheet or another flat surface. Use your wooden spoon to break apart the clumps and spread the pecans out in an even layer.
- Cool completely until they reach room temperature.
- Enjoy immediately or store the candied pecans in an airtight container for up to 2 weeks. Great topping for your breakfast grains, salads, and cooked vegetables.
*Ayurvedic Sweet Spice Blend
1 tsp Ginger powder
4 tsp Cinnamon powder
4 tsp Cardamom Powder
1 tsp Nutmeg freshly grated
Mix ground spices. Transfer ground spices in an airtight container and store inside your cabinet. Avoid light exposure to prevent the volatile oils from getting rancid.
Pecans are best for persons whose constitution is primarily vata dosha; enjoy in smaller amounts if you are pitta or kapha doshas.
Link to Ayurvedic Food Guidelines https://www.ayurveda.com/food-guidelines/