Vegan Buddha Bowl with Cashew Ginger Sauce
Betty Brown, Clinical Ayurvedic Specialist PRINT RECIPE
Cooked Brown Basmati Rice:
1 ½ cups brown basmati rice **
3 cups of filtered water
Wash brown basmati rice well with cold water.
- In a medium size pot, add 3 cups of filtered water and 1 1/2c rinsed brown basmati rice.
- Cook on medium high uncovered until water comes to a rapid boil.
- Reduce heat down to low, cover partially, leaving a very small sliver of an opening and cook for about 20-30 minutes (sometimes it takes as long as 45 minutes to cook) Rice is ready when all the water has been absorbed and rice is soft. Take pot off the stove and let it rest with lid on for about 5 minutes.
Rice cooker method:
- Place water and washed rice into pot, cover, and push the cooking button.
Crispy Savory Tofu Bake:
2 lbs of extra firm tofu, water drained, and diced into ½ inch cubes ( Trader Joe’s Organic Super Firm High Protein Tofu is my favorite)
2 Tbsp. toasted sesame seed oil
2 Tbsp. coconut aminos **
1/8 tsp ground turmeric
1/8 tsp ground onion powder
1/8 tsp ground garlic powder
2 Tbsp. organic arrow root powder
- Preheat oven to 400 deg F.
- Line an extra large cookie sheet or two regular sized cookie sheet with parchment paper.
- Place diced tofu into a medium sized mixing bowl.
- Add coconut aminos and toasted sesame seed oil to tofu and mix well. Then add spices and arrow root powder, and mix well
- Spread out tofu on parchment paper lined cookie sheet (s) so they lay flat.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes, until tofu is crispy
While tofu is baking prepare toppings….
2 medium carrots cut into thin matchsticks-julienne (Learn how )
Broccoli florets from 1 large head of broccoli
1 clove of garlic, minced
1/2 lbs of fresh shitake mushroom (or your favorite mushrooms), washed and cut into strips
1-2 Tbsp of toasted sesame oil
¼ tsp. ground turmeric powder
¼ tsp. ground coriander seeds
Salt and fresh ground black pepper
- Heat a large frying pan with 1 tsp. of the toasted sesame oil. When pan is warm, add julienned carrots to pan and sauté for about 30 second, cook until still crisp. Add a pinch of salt while cooking. Remove from pan onto a plate and set aside.
- Next add another tsp. of toasted sesame oil to pan if needed and add broccoli florets, plus 1 tsp. of water. Add pinch of salt and black pepper, pinch of ground turmeric powder while cooking. May add a lid to steam and broccoli florets. Cook until they turn bright green and are still crunchy but warm.
- Add another tsp of toasted sesame oil to pan, then add minced garlic clove, sliced shitake mushrooms, pinch of each spice: ground turmeric powder, salt, black pepper, ground coriander seeds, and 1 tsp. coconut aminos. Cook mushrooms until they have reduced in half.
Cashew Ginger Sauce
3 Tbsp. cashew butter
1/2 tsp. fresh grated ginger
2 Tbsp. coconut aminos
1 tsp. toasted sesame oil
1 tsp. organic tamari sauce
½ tsp of each: onion powder and garlic powder
Pinch of ground turmeric
Pinch of ground star anise powder
¼ cup warm water plus extra
- Place cashew butter in a small sauce pan. Add remaining ingredients except water.
- Place heat on very low, stirring until all ingredients are incorporated and sauce is smooth. Be careful you don’t burn the sauce.
- Add 1 Tbsp. of warm water at a time, stirring to mix into the sauce until it’s smooth and creamy. May add more water to thin it to desired consistency.
- Adjust seasoning to taste. You may want to add more coconut aminos or tamari sauce if you add more water to thin the Cashew Ginger Sauce.
- Once you have your desired consistency , remove from heat.
Create Your Buddha Bowl :
- Place inside a medium size bowl, about ½ cup of cooked brown rice. Add a drizzle of the Cashew Ginger Sauce.
- Add your sauted veggie toppings and Crispy Savory Tofu .
- Drizzle with Cashew Ginger Sauce .
- Sprinkle with white or black sesame seeds, a pinch of your doshic spice blend.
- Optional-add extra coconut aminos or tamari sauce or Bragg’s Aminos
- Use white basmati rice for Vata and Pitta imbalance. White basmati rice is easier to digest.
- May use Tamari , Bragg’s Aminos or Soy sauce for Vata and Kapha doshas.
- May add extra fresh ginger for Vata and Kapha doshas.
Nut allergy: If you have a nut allergy, use tahini in place of cashew butter. See my recipe to make tahini HERE.
Use seasonal veggies that balance your dosha. Also add cooked edamame for extra protein and fiber.
Crispy Savory Tofu Bake inspired by ‘How to Make Crispy Baked Tofu’ by Cookie +kate and my friend Liz Bloebaum who introduced me to this recipe.