Summer Kitchari, Balancing Pitta Dosha
Serves 3-4, Stove Top, Instant Pot, and Crockpot Cooking Methods
Betty Brown, CAS, NAMA Certified Ayurveda Practitioner, RN
Ingredients: PRINT RECIPE
- 2 Tbsp. organic ghee, coconut oil, or sunflower oil
- 1 tsp. coriander powder
- 1 tsp. ground turmeric
- 1 tsp. cumin powder
- 1⁄2 tsp. cardamom powder
- 1⁄2 tsp. ground fennel seeds
- 1⁄2 cup of organic white Basmati rice
- 1⁄2 cup of organic split mung beans (yellow)
- 4.5 cups of water or vegetable broth, or more to make it slightly soupy
- 1 tsp. Himalayan rock salt or mineral salt
- 2 cups of diced seasonal organic vegetables (*zucchini, green beans,beets, burdock root, carrots, fresh green peas, celery, okra, parsnips,
- 2 cups organic leafy greens (*beet greens, kale, spinach, Swiss chard,collard greens, dandelion greens, parsley)
o Shredded coconut
o Coconut aminos ( or low sodium Tamari or low sodium soy sauce )
o Fresh cilantro, parsley herbs
o Lime wedges
o Sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds
o Himalayan rock salt (omit if using coconut aminos, tamari or soy sauce)
Stove Top Cooking Method
- Rinse the rice and split mung beans until the water runs completely clear. Set aside.
- On medium-low heat, add ghee, coconut oil or sunflower oil in a medium-sized pot, then sauté ground spices: coriander, turmeric, cumin, cardamom, and fennel, for 5-7 seconds. Be careful not to burn spices.
- Add the Basmati rice and split mung beans and stir until they are coated in the spices and oil.
- Add your diced seasonal vegetables. Save leafy greens for later.
- Pour in 4.5 cups of water, plus Himalayan rock salt, cover with lid, andsimmer on medium heat for 35 minutes or until rice and split mung beans
- Add leafy green vegetables and cook for another 10 minutes.
- Let it cool for a few minutes and then garnish with toppings of your choice.
- Eat with gratitude and love.
InstantPot Cooking Method
- Place on the sauté setting for 7 seconds.
- Add ghee and spices, and sauté for 3 seconds, stirring constantly to prevent burning
- Add basmati rice and spit mung bean, stir for 4 seconds
- Add all the vegetables, setting aside the delicate leafy greens such as baby spinach
- Add vegetable broth or water and salt. Don’t add extra water since kitchari made in InstantPot is soupier
- Close the lid, and set on the “Bean/Chili” setting or PC high setting, cooking time is 10 minutes with Natural Release.
- After the pressure cooker has naturally released all the steam, open the lid and add any delicate leafy greens or fresh herbs you want to add. Stir and let it sit for 2 minutes.
- Serve with garnishes
Crock Pot Cooking Method
- Follow the instructions for Instant Pot with these exceptions
- sautéing spices is optional
- cook on high heat and cook for 3-4 hours.
- You may cook on low heat, and cook for 6-8 hours if you prepare it in the morning before you leave for work.
- When finished cooking, add your delicate leafy greens and fresh herbs, and let sit for 2 minutes.
- Serve with garnishes.