Powerhouse Zucchini and Carrot Muffins, Gluten Free
PRINT RECIPE LINK TO VIDEO
Good for vata and pitta doshas, kapha dosha in moderation
These muffins are packed full of veggies but your kids won’t fuss about it. It’s sweetened with a small amount of maple syrup since it has plenty of naturally sweet ingredients. Also, a nice gluten free option since it’s made with almond flour and oats. Spices chosen to help support digestion and add to it’s wonderful flavor. Eat it for breakfast or as healthy snack.
- 2 cups almond meal
- 1 cup gluten free old-fashioned rolled oats
- 1/2 cup chopped nuts or seeds (walnuts, pecans, sunflower seeds or pumpkin seeds)
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1 clove, ground
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon fine Himalayan mineral salt
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 1 cup grated zucchini (about 1 zucchini)
- 1 cup grated carrot (about 2 carrots)
- 2 small very ripe bananas
- 5 tablespoons ghee
- Zest of a small lemon
- 2 oz real maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Unbleached paper muffin cups (If You Care Large Baking Cups is what I use)
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line 2 – 12-cup standard muffin tin with paper muffin cups. You will need to line 18-20 muffin cups.
- In a large bowl, combine almond meal, oats, chopped nuts, raisins, ground spices, baking soda, and salt.
- In a small bowl, beat eggs, then set aside. In a medium size bowl, mix together thoroughly the eggs, zucchini, carrot, lemon zest, bananas, ghee, maple syrup, and vanilla.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients, mixing until just combined.
- Spoon the batter into the muffin cups filling each to the brim (does not rise very much).
- Bake until the muffins are nicely browned on top and a toothpick inserted in the center of a muffin comes out clean, about 30 to 40 minutes.
I like to use frozen bananas to concentrate the sugars. When your banana gets very ripe, place it in the freezer with the skin on.
Nutrition for 1 muffin:
This recipe was inspired by the Super Hero Muffin Recipe: https://runfasteatslow.com/blogs/news/superhero-muffins