Breakfast Blueberry Crisp with Spiced Oat Topping
by Betty Brown
Good for Vata and Pitta doshas, Kapha dosha in moderation
Serving size ¾ cup
2 tsp coconut oil or ghee to grease a 9 inch pie plate*
1/2c rolled oats + ½ tsp cinnamon to sprinkle on the bottom
of greased pie plate
2 lbs fresh blueberries
1 Tbsp. sugar (coconut, sucanat are also good options)
1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
1 tsp. lemon zest
1/2 tsp. real vanilla extract
2 cups of rolled oats
2-3 Tbs. melted coconut oil or ghee *
2 Tbsp. sugar (coconut, sucanat are also good options)
1 tsp. ground cinnamon
1 tsp. ground cardamom
1/2 tsp. ginger powder
¼ tsp. ground nutmeg
Pinch of salt
1 tsp. real vanilla extract
2 tsp. lemon zest
¼ cup raw sunflower seeds, chopped (optional)
- Preheat oven to 375 deg F
- Prepare 9 inch pie plate by greasing it with oil, then adding to bottom of the pie plate oats and cinnamon.
- In a medium size bowl, gently add and fold into fresh blueberries sugar, cinnamon, lemon zest, and real vanilla extract. Then add to pie plate.
- In a medium size bowl, add oats, oil, spices, pinch of salt, real vanilla extract, lemon zest, sunflower seeds and mix well.
- Place on top of blueberries.
- Cover pie plate -with another pie or foil.
- Bake for 30 min. covered.
- Take off cover and bake for another 15-20 minutes until spiced oat topping is lightly golden brown. Let sit for 5 minutes. Enjoy!
*For a vegan version, use coconut oil
Blueberries are known to be a “superfood” loaded with nutrients our bodies need for optimal health. Here are a few benefits that blueberries offer.
- Contains anthocyanin, a flavonoid which gives blueberries many of their health benefits. Flavonoids have antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties.
- Good source of fiber, 3.6 g per 1 cup ( 148 g).
- Blueberries are great for heart health, bone strength, skin health, blood pressure, diabetes, and mental health.
- One cup of blueberries offers 24 % of a person RDA of vit. C
- Blueberries support Pitta dosha since they have an astringent taste (Kashaya Rasa), known for wound healing and reducing blood sugar levels.