Red Lentil & Veggie Curry, Instant Pot Recipe with Mild Curry Recipe
Betty Brown, CAS Vata**, Pitta, Kapha**
- 2 teaspoons ghee or coconut oil
- 1/2 medium red onion , chopped
- 1 carrot , chopped*
- 1 medium watermelon beets *
- 2 cups fresh sliced shiitake mushrooms *
- 2-3 teaspoons mild curry powder**( or Thai Kitchen Red Curry Paste )
- 2-2 inch pieces of fresh lemon grass
- 1 tablespoon fresh minced ginger
- 1 teaspoon mineral salt, plus more to taste
- 1 cup red lentils
- 2 – 2.5 cups water
- 15 oz full-fat coconut milk (for kapha dosha, use 7.5 oz of coconut milk)
- 1 yellow bell pepper , diced and seeds removed (or red, or green)
- 4 baby bok choy, roughly cut*
- 1/4 cup cut fresh basil leaves *
- 3 teaspoons of coconut aminos (or tamari)
- Toppings: fresh cilantro, and lemon wedges
- Cooked basmati rice (start cooking while curry is cooking in the Instant Pot)
*Use your favorite seasonal veggies and fresh herbs. Pineapple is a nice addition too. Use local, organic ingredients as much as possible.
- Set the Instant Pot to the “sauté” setting, and stir together ghee, onion, ginger, lemon grass, root vegetables, and mushrooms. Cook until the hard vegetables are tender, about 10 minutes. (Add small amounts of water as needed to help prevent sticking.)
- Add to the cooked vegetables, curry, salt, lentils and remaining vegetables. Stir until fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Press the “off” button to stop the sautéing function. Add in the water, and coconut milk, then cover securely with the lid, making sure to turn the knob at the top to the “sealing” position.
- Press the “manual” button, then adjust the time to cook at high pressure for 10 minutes. Or you can use the pre-set “Bean” button and adjust time to 10 minutes.
- Once the cooking is done, allow the pressure to release naturally, which may take 15-20 minutes. Once pressure is released completely, the lid will open easily.
- Add to the cooked curry your fresh basil . Adjust seasoning to taste by adding coconut aminos, salt and black pepper as desired. Stir thoroughly. Serve with cooked basmati rice, topped with fresh cilantro and lemon wedges.
**Vata and Kapha-use more heating, pungent spices.
**Make your own mild curry by using your own DOSHIC KITCHEN SPICE BLEND or try the recipe below.
Mild Curry Recipe:
- 3 Tbsp. ground coriander seeds
- 1 Tbsp. ground cumin seeds
- 2 tsp. ground fennel seed
- 1.5 tsp. ground turmeric
- 1/2 tsp. ground ginger
- 1/2 tsp. fenugreek powder
- 1/4 tsp. ground black pepper
- 1/4 tsp. ground cinnamon
- Pinch of ground cloves
- 1/8 tsp. ground cardamom
Mix ingredients together, place in an airtight container and then store in a dark environment, such as your kitchen cabinet. Avoid exposing your spices to light so your spices will last longer.