Coconut is great for summer since it is cooling and will pacify Pitta and Vata dosha.
It has cooling, oily and heavy qualities (gunas) with a sweet taste (rasa).
Try this vegan, sugar free topping that will make summer treats extra special. The added spices promote digestion and can be enjoyed in smaller amounts by person’s who are predominantly Kapha dosha. A great alternative for those who are lactose intolerant or who are vegan.
Whipped Coconut Spiced Cream Recipe PRINT RECIPE
by Betty Brown
Vegan, sugar free, gluten free
- 1 (14 ounce) can unsweetened FULL FAT coconut milk
- ¼ tsp. ground cinnamon
- pinch of ground nutmeg
- pinch of ground ginger
- 1/4 – 1/2 tsp. lemon zest OR 1/8 -1/4 tsp Simply Organics lemon oil
- ½ -1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
- Refrigerate can of coconut milk for 8 hours or overnight (4 hours is acceptable )
- Place metal mixing bowl and beaters in the refrigerator or freezer 45-60 min before making whipped cream.
- Open can of coconut milk, being careful not to shake it. Scoop coconut cream solids into cold mixing bowl. Reserve remaining liquid for another use.
- Beat coconut cream using an electric hand mixer with chilled beaters on medium speed; turn to high speed. Beat until stiff peaks form. Add spices, lemon zest and vanilla extract to coconut cream; beat 1 minute more.
Use as topping for berries, cake, biscuits, coffee, tea…. be creative!
If you want a sweeter version, may use natural sweeteners-coconut sugar, sucanat, real maple syrup, honey, unrefined agave nectar. Start with 1 tsp. and then add more if needed.
Benefits of Coconut Milk
- Contains lauric acid, which promotes heart health by decreasing bad cholesterol-LDL and increasing good cholesterol-HDL; supports healthy blood vessels and lower blood pressure.
- MTC oil increases energy expenditure supporting weight loss.
- Supports digestion by nourishing the digestive tract with healthy fat and nutrients.
- Lowers bodily inflammation with MTC oil.
Cool as a Coconut—Make Your Own Coconut Milk at Home https://www.banyanbotanicals.com/info/blog-the-banyan-insight/details/cool-as-a-coconut-make-your-own-coconut-milk-at-home/
Tender Loving Coconuts: Ayurveda Plant for Cooling https://www.mapi.com/ayurvedic-knowledge/plants-spices-and-oils/coconuts-and-ayurveda.html
Coconut Milk Nutrition: Beneficial Vegan Milk or High-Fat Trap? https://draxe.com/coconut-milk-nutrition/
What is Coconut Cream? Here is what you should know https://spoonuniversity.com/lifestyle/what-is-coconut-cream-here-s-what-you-should-know
Here are 6 benefits of berries:
- High in fiber: (1)
- Raspberries: 11.9 grams of carbs, 6.5 of which are fiber
- Blackberries: 10.2 grams of carbs, 5.3 of which are fiber
- Strawberries: 7.7 grams of carbs, 2.0 of which are fiber
- Blueberries: 14.5 grams of carbs, 2.4 of which are fiber
- High in antioxidants which protect our cells from free radicals and reduce the risk of disease.
- Great source of vitamins and minerals: (1)
- Vitamin C: 35% of the Reference Daily Intake (RDI)
- Manganese: 32% of the RDI
- Vitamin K1: 25% of the RDI
- Copper: 8% of the RDI
- Folate: 6% of the RDI
- Have anti-inflammatory properties
- Supports mental focus and clarity. Berries have an abundace of a flavanoid called anthocyanidans which are neuroprotective. (2)
- Suuports healthy gut. Berries are high in polyphenols and when digested in the intestines they support the growth of healthy microbials such as Bifidobacterium, Lactobacillus and Akkermansia. (3)