Summer Puy Lentil and Veggie Stew cooked in Slow Cooker
Betty Brown, CAS
This recipe uses several fresh ingredients from Front Axel Farm CSA (Community Supported Agriculture ).-sweet cherry tomatoes, carrots plus their tops, potatoes and green onions. Using fresh local ingredients in your recipes means great taste and getting the optimal amount of nutrients. Use any seasonal vegetables that is available.
Using a slow cooker or crockpot makes this a perfect meal for a busy family. Prep time is approximately 20 minutes and then cook on low for 7 hours.
Ingredients: PRINT RECIPE
1 Tbsp. ghee or olive oil
1 tsp. Doshic Spice Blend (see notes)
1 tsp onion powder
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp smoked paprika
1 tsp. dried oregano
1 tsp. dried thyme
1 Cup Puy French Lentils or Green Lentils, washed and rinsed
½ tsp. minced fresh ginger
3 cloves minced fresh garlic
3 tsp of Mushroom & Company Multipurpose Umami Seasoning Blend, by Trader Joes-divided into 1 tsp. portions (see note)
1 pint of sweet cherry tomatoes-cut in half
½ lb of red potatoes-diced into 1 inch squares
4 medium carrots with carrot green tops: chop carrots into small discs and mince the carrot greens.
2 green onions diced
6-8 oz of fresh sliced mushrooms or 1 oz of dried mushroom
4-4.5 cups of organic vegetable broth; use 4.5 cups if using dried mushrooms
½ -1 tsp. ground black pepper
1 Tbsp. organic coconut aminos or tamari sauce
Salt to taste
Fresh lemon juice (optional)
If your slow cooker does NOT have a sauté setting, then sauté your oil, spices, and Puy French Lentils in a pan, then transfer to your slow cooker.
- Heat ghee or olive oil for a few seconds, then sauté all your dry spices for about 5-7 seconds being careful not to burn it.
- Then add Puy French lentils to slow cooker pot, minced ginger, minced garlic plus 1 tsp. of Mushroom & Company Multipurpose Umami Seasoning Blend (Mushroom Umami), and mix with spices. Sauté for another 5
- Add the sliced carrot discs, minced carrot greens, diced red potatoes, mushrooms, green onions, coconut aminos or tamari , fresh black pepper and remaining Mushroom Umami to the pot, and mix
- Add 4 cups of vegetable stock . If you are using dried mushrooms, then add an extra ½ cup so you are using a total of 4.5 cups.
- Mix thoroughly.
- Cover slow cooker, and cook for 7 hours on low.
- After it’s completed, may add some fresh lemon juice and add additional salt and black pepper to taste.
- Serve over brown basmati rice. Enjoy!
- Best for Pitta and Kapha doshas, Vata in small amounts.
- Ayurvedic Doshic Spice Blend-use your specific blend to help balance your doshas. Here is the link to Ayurvedic Doshic Spice Blends : https://www.bwellayurveda.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/04/Three-Ayurvedic-Spice-Blends-to-Support-and-Heal-Your-Dosha-.pdf
- If you are unable to find Trader Joes Mushroom & Company Multipurpose Umami Seasoning Blend , then make your own. Here are the ingredients for the umami seasoning: KOSHER SALT, DRIED ONIONS, GROUND MUSTARD SEED, PORCINI MUSHROOM POWDER, WHITE BUTTON MUSHROOM POWDER, CRUSHED RED PEPPER, BLACK PEPPER, DRIED THYME. ( https://www.google.com/search?client=safari&rls=en&q=trader+joe%27s+mushroom+seasoning+ingredients&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8 )
- In Ayurveda mushrooms are considered tamasic, having qualities of dullness and sedating. However mushrooms are also recognized for their medicinal properties. Eating mushrooms in balance and small amounts, along with adding herbs, spices and fresh vegetables, balances the tamasic qualities. Mushrooms offer flavor (umami), vitamins and minerals for a vegetarian diet. Fresh mushrooms are recommended for Vata and Pitta doshas, while dried mushrooms are recommended for Kapha dosha. ( https://www.hinduismtoday.com/modules/smartsection/item.php?itemid=5292 )
- Green or Puy lentils are best for Pitta and Kapha doshas. Use extra warm spices for Vata dosha.