One of my favorites about summer is the bounty of fresh produce! Living in Ohio where we have a short growing season, I appreciate all the fresh and high pranic produce that retain their vital enzymes and nutrients since I can get them from my home garden or from my local farmer’s market several times a week.
Salads are a staple in the summer and Ayurveda recommends eating to support your digestion. Try some of these Ayurvedic dressings to help you balance the cold, drying qualities of salad which may cause bloating, gas and indigestion. If you are using cruciferous vegetables in your salad such as broccoli, kale, and cauliflower, first steam them lightly, then add them to your salad.
Eat fresh, and eat to support your digestion!
Ayurvedic Dressing Recipes
Ginger Coconut Dressing
20-25 g fresh ginger root, peeled and cut into thins slices.
1/3 cup olive oil
1 / 4 cup coconut cream
Juice from 1 -2 limes
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
3/4 teaspoon pink Himalayan sea salt
- Place all ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth and creamy.
- Immersion/Stick Blender:
- Place all ingredients into a tall pitcher or beaker designed for use with immersion/stick blender. Blend well until smooth.
- For a very smooth texture, strain dressing through a small wire meshed strainer, then use a spoon to press all of the liquid out.
- Adjust ingredients to your taste. May increase the amount of spices, coconut cream and oils.
Cooling Herbal Dressing
- 1 cup cilantro, loose leafs
- ½ cup Italian parsley, loose leafs
- ¼ cup mint, loose leafs
- 1 glove of garlic, roughly chopped (optional)
- 1 Tbs. Dijon mustard
- ½ tsp. turmeric
- ½ tsp. ground fennel seeds
- 1 tsp. Himalayan pink salt
- ¼ tsp. freshly cracked black pepper
- ⅓ cup lime juice, freshly squeezed
- ⅔ cup olive oil or sunflower oil
- ½ -1 tsp real maple syrup
Blend all ingredients in a blender and serve with your favorite salad.
Adjust ingredients to your taste. May increase the amount of spices and oils, use different proportions of herbs. Use minimal amount of maple syrup.
Cooling Herbal Dressing is nice to add to a pasta + veggie or grain + veggie salad.
- 2 Tbs. tahini
- ½ cup olive oil or sunflower oil
- ¼ -1/3 cup water
- 2 tsp fresh grated ginger
- 1 tsp minced parsley
- 1 tsp minced basil
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp coriander
- Juice from ½ of a fresh lime
- ½ tsp maple syrup
Mix all ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth. Serve with your favorite salad.